Tuesday, March 10, 2009

WHAT!? IT'S TODAY?!

It's Eyna & Christine here! YES! Today was the BIG DAY! and we were ready to kick some major BUTT! We had really big competition but was very confident. Unfortunately, we were up first and the first trial was a bust because the balloon popped. Once we got another balloon on our car, it popped again! [Thanks Mr.P for taking quite a while with that picture] BUT IT WAS ALL GOOD!! We finally got to lay down our car for the THIRD time and the balloon finally didn't pop. We were ready for our first trial run! video...Unfortunaely, our little fast demon didn't go straight and it needed some adjustments like: putting 2 straws on both sides to make it balance more and to have a bigger balloon. Also, we switched the 2 small straws with one big straw, which made the air go out faster and gave our car some speed. After all those changes, we ended up getting 8 point something metres! Which is great, because it exceeded our expectations. On the other hand we got to see the "car" that beat the 22m record!! CONGRATS TO JOSEPH AND JOEY FOR BEATING IT! All in all the day was great. Thank you Mr.Papadimitriou for giving us the chance to do this project, we had a lot of fun.
WE ALSO WANT TO GIVE A BIG BIG SHOUT OUT TO THOSE THAT DIDN'T GIVE UP ON THEIR CAR!

We also appreciate those who viewed our weekly updates :)


Be sure to watch our first trial run video!
Thanks again to Mr.Papadimitriou....for his tape :)

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Our Final Car Design


So we FINALLY stuck to one design. Our design was going for an aerodynamic look. Once we had the idea, we decided to get started and make it happen. Once we completed it, we were happy with it. We decided to test it and once we did it seemed to have quite a few problems. 1. We analyzed the car and realized that the measurements were wrong and that the cardboard wasn't equal. 2. The wheels weren't on straight, causing it to move in different directions.3.One side was taller than the other.

Once we found out the problem, we decided to stick with the design but try it again. This time we were careful with our measurements. The outcome of the car was much better. It went straight and further than we expected. Eyna and I are very excited for evaluation day!
MATERIALS USED/NEEDED:
+ Cardboard
+ Tape
+ 2 straws
+ 1 Balloon
+ Scissors
+ 2 sets of wheels
+ Tape
+ Ruler

STAY TUNED FOR OUR TEST RUN IN THE SCHOOL...BY THE WAY WE ARE FIRST! WISH US GOOD LUCK!:)